1) I want you to start this week’s assignment by listening to this NPR story about the idea of implicit bias. Next, read this second NPR story and listen to the accompanying audio. Finally, I want you to read Amy Butcher’s New York Times opinion piece “Emoji Feminism.”
2) Now, that you know more about the concept of implicit bias and the way it can present itself in society, I want you to take two Implicit Association Tests: those labeled “Race IAT” and “Gender-Career IAT.” Harvard scientists created the IAT to judge conscious versus unconscious judgments.
Why study one’s own perceptions? Because willingness and ability to judge one’s perceptions accurately are sometimes at odds. For example: A four-pack-daily smoker may report smoking only two. Why?
◦ Unwilling to answer accurately due to embarrassment
◦ Unable to answer accurately due to true belief that he/she smokes only two packs per day
How IATs work:
◦ A series of facial images of people featuring different characteristics is presented with words with “good” or “bad” qualities.
◦ Based on reactions and timed responses, the test supposedly reveals your unconscious association with different identities.
◦ These associations, while often not recognized explicitly for one of the above reasons, reflect implicit judgments that exist within all of us.
Questions to be answered
Did the NPR stories you listened to change your views on bias? If so, how?
Did you ever consider that Emojis could be promoting stereotypes? No matter how you answer, elaborate.
Do you believe the results of your IATs are accurate? Explain why or why not?
To what extent do you believe exposure to popular culture, in all its forms, has impacted your perspective on the associations queried? Provide at least one example of popular culture that affected (or failed to affect) your perspective in your response.
(Optional) Do you believe the IAT methodology is valid? Why or why not?
400 words MLA Please mention the results of your IATs, so that I know you took both. If you do not mention your results, you will not receive full credit
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more