Answers should be at least 200 words and reflect critical thought. Whenever possible, please try to relate the course content to real-world applications from your work experience. Be sure to cite all sources as well.
1. Is there a critical time for teaching children values? In recalling your childhood, is there a memory that you can associate with a value you continue to hold as an adult?
2. Discuss theories, such as Kohlberg’s, about moral development. How can children develop a sense of values?
3. Describe Piaget’s preoperational stage. Discuss the emerging ability to use mental symbols, increased mastery of language, egocentric thought, and other developmental milestones of preschool children.
4. Describe Piaget’s concrete operations stage. How would Piaget explain a child’s understanding of death and loss?
5. Examine the components of self-esteem. What does the concept mean? Discuss the development of self-image and self-esteem. What adjectives can help to enhance a child’s sense of self?