Lab 1 – Introduction to Science
Exercise 1: The Scientific Method
Dissolved oxygen is oxygen that is trapped in a fluid, such as water. Since many living organism requires oxygen to survive, it is a necessary component of water systems such as streams, lakes and rivers in order to support aquatic life. The dissolved oxygen is measured in units of parts per million (ppm). Examine the data in Table 4 showing the amount of dissolved oxygen present and the number of fish observed in the body of water the sample was taken from; finally, answer the questions below.
1. Make an observation – Based on the data in Table 4, discuss what patterns you observe in regards to dissolved oxygen content and fish populations in the body of water?
2. Do background research – Utilizing at least one scholarly source, describe how the dissolved oxygen content in a body of water can effect fish populations.
3. Construct a hypothesis – Based on your observation in question 1 and your background research in question 2, develop a hypothesis relating to the amount of dissolved oxygen measured in the water sample and the number of fish observed in the body of water?
4. Test with an experiment – Describe an experiment that would allow you to test your hypothesis from question 3. This description must provide ample detail to show knowledge of experimental design and should list the independent and dependent variables, as well as your control.
5. Analyze results – Assume that your experiment produces results identical to those seen in Table 4, what type of graph would be appropriate for displaying the data and why?
6. Analyze results – Graph the data from Table 4 and describe what your graph looks like (you do not have to submit a picture of the actual graph!).
7. Draw conclusions – Interpret the data from the graph made in Question 7. What conclusions can you make based on the results of this graph?
8. Draw conclusions – Assuming that your experiment produced results identical to those seen in Table 4, would you reject or accept the hypothesis that you produced in question 3? Explain how you determined this.
Any sources utilized should be listed here.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more