Assignment: Select an Experiment to Reproduce
Select a research paper that makes use of a mathematical/computational model to solve some realworld problem. It needn’t make use specifically of the mathematical concepts in these two courses, but the spirit of the research should be in the same ballpark. Consider the following when selecting the experiment you will reproduce:
• Availability of the code/software – Try to pick an experiment that makes use of freely available code or extant computer software. Alternatively, contact the authors to see if they will be willing to share their code with you (they usually are).
• Availability of the test dataset(s) – Obviously, you won’t be able to reproduce an experiment that makes use of classified military data. So pick something where the test dataset(s) is/are readily and freely available.
• Computing power – You can rent a supercomputer from Microsoft, Google, or Amazon. But don’t pick something that requires so much computing power you’ll have to take out a loan to make it run in a finite length of time!
Compose a short paper where you present the title of the paper you will reproduce and an explanation of the considerations above.
Format your submission according to the APA style guide. Remember that all work should be your own original work and assistance received from any source and any references used must be authorized and properly documented.
Recommended length: 1-2 pages double-spaced not including front and back matter.
Include the following:
• The problem that was being addressed
• The techniques/procedures and datasets used
• The experiment setup, materials, etc.
• The original authors’ results
• Your experience, frustrations, etc. in reproducing the experiment
• Any deviations from the original authors’ methods or setup (and why)
• Your results
• A comparison of your results with the original authors. Do they match? If so, what does this tell you?
If not, did you do something wrong or did they?
• What are the logical next steps in the research?
• Your reflection on this exercise
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more