The Help – Movie
Short answers to each question
The Help (Movie) shows us the inner workings of a segregated society against the backdrop of the growing US Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s. Watch this movie and try to understand the social stratification system in the South. Answer the following:
1. What did you learn about the class system in the South – describe the separate lives led by the main characters.
2. There are several powerful symbols used – what is the significance of a separate bathroom?
3. What is the significance of the “pie”?
4. In the American South in the first half of the 20th century, whites espoused the doctrine of “separate but equal.” This was supposed to keep the races separate but treat them equally. Did it work in practice?
5. When Aibileen gets the Miss Myrna job at the end of the movie, does this signify that the society is changing?
6. Celia doesn’t even seem aware of false stereotypes about black people. Why?
7. How does Celia’s past poverty influence her views on social class? Does she get over wanting to join Hilly and the gang by the end of the movie?
8. How does this community compare with your own? What are the similarities? The differences?
9. If you visit Jackson, Mississippi today, what changes since the 1960s when The Help was set will you expect?
10. Who is your favorite character? Why?
Pick two: 500 words total
1. What is the main premise (idea) of Merton’s theory? Explain the 5 categories of deviant Behavior. Explain what category homeless people fall under and why? 2. Why does labeling theory argue that its not the act of deviance, but people’s response to it that is important to understand. (Please explain the theory first) 3. Explain 4 types of social bonds discussed in the control theory by Travis Hirschi
Pick any 2: 500 words total
1. Discuss at least 3 major changes in marriage and family in the US. 2. Differentiate between lines of decent and residence. Why is it important to examine them? 3. What do you understand by the concept of cultural capital? Why is this concept important to understand education inequality?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more